Online travel giant TripAdvisor has revealed its top 10 Thai street markets, the result of a reader poll.
The number one market was the Tha Pae Gate, in Chiang Mai followed by Maeklong Railway Market in Sumut Songkhram. The list also featured Bangkok’s Chatuchak weekend market and the famous floating market of Amphawa.
“Street markets are an integral part of Thai culture and are popular with both locals and foreigners alike,” said Jean Ow-Yeong, TripAdvisor spokesperson. “For that authentic and unique Thai shopping experience, TripAdvisor’s global community of travellers have uncovered the best street markets in the nation.”
The top 10 street markets in Thailand are as follows:
1. Sunday Night Market Walking Street– Tha Pae Gate, Chiang Mai
2. Maeklong Railway Market (Talad Rom Hub), Samut Songkhram
3. Saturday Night Market Walking Street – Wua Lai Road, Chiang Mai
4. Pak Khlong Talat (Flower Market) – Bangkok
5. Chatuchak Weekend Market – Bangkok
6. Phuket Town Night Market – Phuket Town, Phuket
7. Amphawa Floating Market – Amphawa, Samut Songkhram
8. Siam Square – Bangkok
9. Hua Hin Night Bazaar – Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan
10. Night Bazaar – Chiang Mai