Abacus officially rebrands as Sabre in Asia Pacific

Abacus officially rebrands as Sabre in Asia Pacific

Official rebranding coincides with acquisition of Malaysian national marketing company

Official rebranding coincides with acquisition of Malaysian national marketing company

Roshan Mendis, senior vice president of Sabre Travel Network Asia Pacific
Roshan Mendis, senior vice president of Sabre Travel Network Asia Pacific

Abacus International has now officially rebranded as Sabre Travel Network Asia Pacific, following Sabre’s full acquisition of the Asian travel technology company earlier this year.

Sabre, which already owned 35% of Abacus, completed the purchase of the remaining 65% stake in July 2015, in a deal worth US$411 million. This share of the company was previously held by a collection of major Asian airlines.

And now, following the rebrand, more than 100 wholly-owned and affiliated offices across the Asia Pacific region will now operate under the Sabre name. The company’s abacus.com.sg website has also now changed, to sabre.com/apac.

“The rebrand recognises the global potential of Asia Pacific’s evolving travel businesses, especially those focused on the opportunities online,” said Roshan Mendis, senior vice president of Sabre Travel Network Asia Pacific. “We want every travel agent and regional supplier to readily access our global and local software, data, mobile and distribution services, to enjoy the benefit of one unified and market-aligned global Sabre brand.

“For our customers and prospects, the message is that Sabre is the partner of choice for faster shared innovation and accelerated growth. We will help all our Asia Pacific customers to compete in new markets and win,” he added.

The rebranding also coincides with Sabre’s acquisition of a third national marketing company, based in Malaysia, following earlier deals in Singapore and Hong Kong. Abacus Distribution Systems (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd is now a wholly-owned unit of Sabre.

Brett Henry
Written by:
Brett Henry
Posted On: