Travel news for the trade community

Sabre completes Abacus acquisition

Sabre now owns 100% of Abacus International
Sabre now owns 100% of Abacus International

Sabre Corporation has completed the acquisition of Abacus International, the global distribution system (GDS) in the Asia Pacific region.

The deal, which was first announced in May 2015, will see Sabre purchase the remaining 65% of Abacus for US$411 million. The company already held the other 35% stake.

“The addition of Abacus further strengthens Sabre’s leading position in the fast-growing Asia Pacific region,” said Sabre’s president & CEO, Tom Klein.

“Our ability to combine Sabre’s strong global technology platform capabilities with Abacus’ deep local market expertise will provide Asia Pacific airline, hospitality and travel agency customers with unprecedented innovation and service options. It also makes us an ideal technology partner for global customers seeking to grow and expand in Asia Pacific.”

Abacus serves more than 100,000 travel agents across 59 markets in Asia Pacific, and features the region’s largest portfolio of low-cost carrier and Chinese airline content.

The acquisition includes new long-term distribution agreements between Sabre and the 11 Asian airlines that previously shared ownership of Abacus with Sabre. Sabre has also signed an agreement to acquire Abacus’ national marketing company, Abacus Distribution Systems (Hong Kong).

You might also like