Princess Cruises expands its Ocean Medallion class ships
Princess Cruises has announced that three more of its ships – Crown Princess, Golden Princess and Ruby Princess – will join the Ocean Medallion Class fleet.
Both Crown Princess and Golden Princess will be Ocean Medallion ready in November 2018, with Ruby Princess in January 2019.
Four other ships have previously been scheduled to feature the new technology: Regal Princess on November 13, 2017; Royal Princess on January 19, 2018; Caribbean Princess on March 18, 2018; and Island Princess on May 16, 2018.
The Ocean Medallion is a wearable device – the same size of a 10p piece – that is fully automated and has no visible technology such as an on-off switch or charging function.
The medallion will pair up with the Ocean Compass, which acts as a ‘digital concierge’ and is accessible via personal mobile devices, stateroom TVs and interactive displays throughout the ship.
Together, the Ocean Medallion and Ocean Compass will be used to:
· Streamline the embarkation and disembarkation process, as the medallion gives quick and easy access to the ship
· Unlock guests’ assigned stateroom door as they near it, so replacing the current key card
· Enable guests to purchase merchandise, services, excursions, food and drinks
· Provide enhanced dining experiences based on food and drink preferences
· Enhance interaction with crew members and other guests
· Help guests find their way to venues around the ship
· Make reservations for the onboard spas and restaurants
Two ships based in Europe in the spring and summer of 2018 will have Ocean Medallion technology onboard: Royal Princess will cruise the British Isles roundtrip from Southampton and Regal Princess will tour Scandinavia and the Baltics.
Crown Princess will sail the Caribbean from November 2018 to April 2019, offering either 10 or 20-night cruises with 28 itineraries available. Prices start from £858pp for a 10-night Southern Caribbean cruise sailing roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale and calling at Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St. Thomas and Princess Cays. Cruise departs November 27, 2018.
Tony Roberts, vice president of Princess Cruises UK and Europe, said: “By the beginning of 2019, seven Princess ships will be in the Ocean Medallion Class fleet and we’re looking forward to others being equipped with the Ocean Medallion in the future. Over the next few years, more and more of our guests will be able to experience the brand new technology not found anywhere else in the world, to have an even more personalised and memorable cruise with Princess.”