|Full Name:||Gary Bowerman|
|Location:||Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
About Gary Bowerman
I am Director of Check-in Asia, a tourism intelligence, content & strategic marketing firm with bases in Hong Kong, Shanghai & Kuala Lumpur. I also co-host The South East Asia Travel Show podcast.
Author of The New Chinese Traveler: Business Opportunities from the Chinese Travel Revolution, and a media commentator on Asian travel economics & consumer trends.
Previously a travel researcher in Central America, Editorial Director in London & consultant for the American Society of Travel Agents, I moved to Shanghai in 2004.
I spent 2 years as Editor of Shanghai Business Review, was a columnist for CNN Traveller & contributed to Business Traveler, Condé Nast Traveller, Luxe Guides, Zagat, Travel + Leisure & Forbes Travel Guide.
In 2007, I co-founded Scribes of the Orient, a business content agency. We later launched Check-in Asia, a speciality travel & hospitality division that works with clients including Hyatt Hotels, Four Seasons Hotels, The Peninsula Hotels, Bulgari Hotels, OAG, JNTO, FCM Travel, Mintel, HRS & Go+ Club.
– An experienced Asia travel analyst, I have produced reports on the tourism economies of South East Asia (2019), Laos (2019), Macau (2018), Australia/New Zealand (2018), China (2017), Pakistan (2017), Japan (2016), Malaysia (2015) & Myanmar (2014).
– Over the last decade, I’ve written several Op-Eds on Chinese & Asian travel trends, undertaken interviews for CNA, CNN, CCTV, ITV, Skift, The Straits Times, SCMP, WSJ, China Travel News & Hotel News Now, & spoken at events in Shanghai, Beijing, London & Madrid.
– In 2017, I was one of a handful of contributors to the Polarisation of Asian Travellers white paper.
– In 2018, I produced a White Paper on China’s OTA sector & a 20-year retrospective of Ctrip.
– In 2019, I published the China & India: Expansion of the Superpowers white paper, & Tourism Investment in South East Asia report.
– In 2020, I’ve produced monthly consumer trends updates on Vietnam & Indonesia, and rail infrastructure reports on Laos, Myanmar, Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia. I have spoken at Tourism Economics & Coronavirus seminars in Singapore & Kuala Lumpur, and undertaken interviews on COVID-19 topics for CNA, Skift, BMJ and ViuTV6 in Hong Kong.
Twitter @BowermanGary, @CheckinAsia @SEATravelShow
|Co-Founder and Host|
|Jan 2020 - Present • 6 months|
|Written and hosted by Gary Bowerman & Hannah Pearson, two experienced KL-based travel & media specialists, The SEA Travel Show discusses the hot topics in the world’s most dynamic tourism region. Mapping out the evolving tourism landscapes of the 10 countries in ASEAN, we analyse the shifting influences on inbound, outbound, domestic & intra-ASEAN tourism. We also scrutinise influential markets, such as China, India, Korea and Japan, and assess the emerging opportunities and challenges for tra...|
vel brands, airlines, hotels & investors.Read more