SIA, Airbus to launch aviation training centre

Guest Contributor

Contributors are not employed, compensated or governed by TD, opinions and statements are from the contributor directly

The training centre will provide simulators for all Airbus aircraft types
The training centre will provide simulators for all Airbus aircraft types

Singapore Airlines (SIA) has penned an agreement with Airbus to establish a new aviation training centre in Singapore.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), signed at the Singapore Airshow this week, will see the two parties join forces to create the Airbus Asia Training Centre (AATC). The two companies will jointly invest SG$80 million (US$63m) in the venture, with Airbus holding a 55% stake and SIA taking the remaining 45%. Operations are expected to begin before the end of 2014.

The AATC will initially operate at the existing SIA Training Centre near Changi Airport, before moving into a dedicated facility at the Seletar Aerospace Park. The centre will provide full-flight simulator training for the Airbus A320, A330, A340, A350 and A380 aircraft.

“Demand for air travel is forecast to continue growing steadily in the Asia Pacific region and the joint venture will help the industry keep pace with training requirements,” said SIA’s CEO, Goh Choon Phong.

“The partnership makes good business sense for Singapore Airlines, while also enhancing Singapore’s position as a leading aviation hub. The experience of Singapore Airlines’ instructor pilots combined with Airbus’ own expertise will ensure that AATC is a centre of excellence, providing a significant boost to the region’s pilot training capabilities.”

The AATC will become the Airbus’ fourth training centre in the world, following existing facilities in Beijing, Miami and Toulouse.

You might also like

Comments are closed.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
Close