Virgin Trains has welcomed the decision by the RMT to suspend industrial action and return to the table for further discussions.
The union suspended the walk-outs today after Virgin Trains repeated its assurances to the union, including one of no compulsory redundancies, as part of changes designed to improve customer experience.
The union previously said its members would walk-out for three 24hr stoppages on the east coast route on Friday 19th August, Friday 26th August and Monday 29th August. In addition there was an overtime ban planned on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th August.
Virgin Trains had promised a full timetable during the three 24hr stoppages and overtime ban over the bank holiday weekend planned for the east coast route in August.
David Horne, Virgin Trains’ MD on the east coast route, said: “We’re pleased that the RMT has agreed to suspend industrial action and continue talks. We had put in place detailed contingency plans which would have seen our timetable run as normal, nevertheless this news will be welcomed by our customers and people.
“We’re making exciting changes on the east coast as part of the customer-centric revolution which has seen us embark on a £140m investment programme in our trains and stations.
“We want a service that focuses firmly on the customer and look forward to discussing these further with representatives of the RMT.”