VisitEngland has launched a digital campaign to promote round-the-clock activities and experiences across the UK, encouraging Brits to beat the January blues by taking a holiday at home.
The ‘24 Hours in the UK’ series of films, launched by VisitEngland and the tourism organisations of London, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, showcase activities across the UK throughout a 24-hour period.
As well as inspiring Brits to take a holiday at home, the campaign is asking people to vote for their favourite moment from the trips with the top five to be announced in the coming weeks.
Part of VisitEngland’s 2018 campaign ‘Join the World – Discover the UK’, the 24 short films by UK and international Instagrammers and bloggers, are being released hourly from Monday 15 January.
VisitEngland Director Andrew Stokes said:
“From a street art tour in Bristol to early morning surfing at Scarborough in Yorkshire, from a torch-lit tour of the Roman Baths to exploring the wilds of Hampstead Heath in London, this campaign shows that England is bursting with activity not only round-the-clock but year-round, with experiences to suit all interests and ages.
“With many of us looking for travel inspiration to beat the winter blues, these snapshots of destinations across the country will get Brits booking mood-boosting experiences, driving economic growth from tourism across the country.”
Latest official statistics show that more people are taking holidays at home and are spending more too. From January to September 2017 Brits took 47 million domestic holidays in Great Britain, spending £11 billion, an increase of 5% and 6% respectively on the first nine months of the previous year.
A selection of the experiences featured in the films include:
1. Step back in time with 1940s inspired music and cocktails at Cahoots in London, featured in the 01.00am film.
2. Take an early morning surf in Scarborough, featured at 7am.
3. Try your hand at sea kayaking in Dartmouth in Devon, featured in the 11.00am film.
4. Catch the Changing of the Guard at Horse Guards Parade in London, featured in the 11.00am film.
5. Take lunch and cocktails at the Rooftop Restaurant at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon, featured in the 12.00pm film.
6. Scale new heights at the Via Ferrata Extreme Experience in the Lake District, Cumbria, featured in the 13.00pm film.
7. Taste a Mad Hatter inspired afternoon tea at Sanderson in London, featured in the 15.00pm film.
8. Explore shopping hot-spot, Seven Dials near London’s Covent Garden, featured in the 17.00pm film
9. Have dinner at Pop Brixton in London, featured in the 21.00pm film.
10. Watch a play in the outdoor Minack Theatre in Cornwall, featured in the 22.00pm film.
Watch the videos:
To discover the 24 hour experiences on Facebook and visit Join the World – Discover the UK.