From the outback to opera, let one of the greatest scores ever written be the soundtrack to a transcontinental journey across Australia. Opera Australia’s Handa Opera on the Harbour returns with a musical masterpiece –West Side Story – and the Indian Pacific is transporting an eager audience.
Journey Beyond’s 2024 Stagelights and Sydney Sights holiday package pairs a journey on the Indian Pacific with a night at the opera that promises to be just as dazzling as the diverse landscapes the train travels through on its route between Perth and Sydney.
Opera and musical theatre great Francesca Zambello is directing the highly anticipated production, with designers Brian Thomson and Jennifer Irwin transforming Sydney into a slice of New York.
The stage will be set on the water of Sydney Harbour with some of Australia’s most recognised landmarks, Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House, framing the performance of the West Side Story musical. Expect fireworks and fanfare as the original 1957 Broadway show is reimagined in the pop-up outdoor theatre in the heart of the harbour.
“We’re thrilled that guests travelling on the Stagelights and Sydney Sights package will be taking in such a spectacular cultural experience on Sydney Harbour to complement their journey,” says David Donald, Executive General Manager of Rail Expeditions at Journey Beyond. “We’re anticipating the songs from this fantastic musical to be hummed throughout the carriages of the Indian Pacific as our guests bookend their train adventure with this spectacular Opera Australia event.”
With both Perth and Sydney departures, Stagelights and Sydney Sights holiday package highlights include:
- 3 nights aboard the Indian Pacific
- Transfer from Sydney Central Station to hotel
- 3 nights’ accommodation at the InterContinental Sydney, including breakfast daily
- Gourmet Sydney Harbour lunch cruise on Journey Beyond Cruise Sydney
- Premium Reserve seat at Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour
- Insightful Off Train Experiences that showcase outback Australia
- Transfer from the Opera Australia performance to the hotel
- Sydney Opera House Guided Tour
Departing Sunday 31 March, 7 April and 14 April 2024, fares start from $4,325 per person.