Shanghai Disney Resort has celebrated its first anniversary with a major event attended by Walt Disney’s chairman & CEO, Bob Iger.
At the anniversary party on Friday 16 June 2017, Iger told visitors that the Shanghai theme park had been a “tremendous success”, attracting more than 11 million visits in its first year of operations.
Shanghai Disney Resort is already the company’s largest theme park, and it will expand even further in future with plans already having been announced for a new Toy Story zone, which is scheduled to open in 2018.
“Shanghai Disney Resort’s first anniversary is cause for great celebration for everyone involved in bringing this spectacular dream to life,” said Iger. “We’re grateful to the people of China for making this unique destination a tremendous success – more than 11 million guests have already visited, and we look forward to welcoming many more in the years to come.”
Shanghai Disney Resort features six themed lands, two hotels, a shopping and dining district, and a large park. It was originally intended to open in 2015, but an expansion of the scope of the project pushed the opening date back to 16 July 2016.