Stopover and discover Qatar
Exclusive to Qatar Airways, transit passengers are eligible to stop over on their next flight through Qatar. Stopping over is easy – travellers need to apply online at least seven days prior to departure for a free pre-approved transit visa to enter and explore Doha for five to 96 hours.
The ultimate Qatar stopover itineraries
- Visit the Museum of Islamic Art (MIA) – this internationally renowned treasure house contains some 14 centuries of the finest art and artefacts from across the Islamic world and is designed by the celebrated architect IM Pei
- Souq Waqif – for an authentic taste of Arab street life and local architecture, nothing can beat a wander through the bustling lanes of Souq Waqif. Besides the treasures on offer, it is a lively dining and entertainment spot, ideal for people-watching
- Traditional Dhow boat cruise – spend the evening soaking up the spectacular panoramic views of the Corniche and Doha’s glittering skyline on a traditional Dhow boat cruise
- City Bus Tour – see the major sights of Doha on a ‘Hop on, Hop off’ Doha Bus city tour
- Explore Qatar’s unique landscape – head south out of the city to one of Qatar’s UNESCO recognised sites Khor Al Adaid (Inland Sea). The Inland Sea is an impressive natural phenomenon and one of the few places in the world where the sea encroaching deep into the heart of the desert can be witnessed. Inaccessible by road, this tranquil expanse of water can only be reached crossing the rolling dunes.
- Go on a desert safari adventure – an experience not to be missed; besides a heart-raising ride over the dunes in a 4×4, safaris may include camel riding, sand boarding or driving a quad bike. Round the day off with a delicious moonlit Bedouin-style barbeque under the stars.
- Experience Qatar’s culture and heritage – take a journey north to visit Al Zubarah Fort and archaeological site or discover the Camel Races at Shahaniya, then onward to the Zekreet Peninsula. Here unspoilt beaches, wind-carved rock formations and the awe-inspiring East-West/West-East Public sculpture by Richard Serra.
Hotel openings 2017
Mondrian Hotel Doha
Mondrian Doha, opening soon, brings the intensity, energy and Sunset Strip vibe of the original Hollywood Mondrian to the West Bay Lagoon neighborhood of Doha, capital city of Qatar.
In addition to 270 rooms and suites, Mondrian Doha will feature eight innovative bars and restaurants featuring both regional and international cuisine, an indoor/outdoor rooftop pool bar, ultra-modern meeting and conference venues and a world class spa.
Mondrian Doha offers a variety of stylish and unique options for meetings and special events. Mondrian features a 21,528 square feet/2000 square meter Ballroom that can hold up to 1,500 guests for a wedding or special event. This majestic Ballroom also offers a private, panoramic elevator to take the Bride and Groom or VIPs directly to and from the 6,458 square foot/600 square meter Bridal Suite. Mondrian also has seven meeting spaces with over 5,000 square feet/500 square meters of flexible space for meetings and special events.
Centara Grand Hotel
Opening in Q3 in mid-2017, the Centara Grand Hotel is situated high above Doha’s West Bay area. The property will include 261 rooms and suites in addition to 96 apartments, a spa and the Suan Bua restaurant.
Holiday Inn Doha
Set to open in 2017, the Holiday Inn Doha will feature 307 rooms. Other facilities include three dining options including a rooftop pool bar for guests to enjoy.