After the successful Phuket Sandbox Programme, Thailand will reopen the country for fully-vaccinated travellers from 46 approved countries starting November 1st without quarantine.
Here are some of the things that you need to know:
Fully-vaccinated travellers arriving from approved countries will be able to enjoy quarantine-free travel.
The current list includes the following: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, UK, USA, and Hong Kong.
For those fully vaccinated, proof includes a Certificate of Vaccination with a vaccine approved by Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) or the World Health Organization (WHO) no less than 14 days before their travel date.
Travellers under 12 years of age, travelling with their parents or guardians, are exempt from this vaccination requirement, but must have a Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result issued no more than 72 hours before travelling.
Meanwhile, the website https://coethailand.mfa.go.th will close all COE requests from November. Travellers arriving in Thailand from 2 November 2021 onwards, can register in the Thailand Pass online system. Those registered in the new system will receive a Thailand Pass QR Code to display to the airline and screening officers at the immigration checkpoint. Those who have received the COE previously can use the COE that has already been received.
Other travel requirements are:
- Medical Certificate with RT-PCR lab result issued no more than 72 hours before traveling.
- Insurance policy with coverage clearly identified as no less than USD50,000.
- Booking confirmation for at least 1-night stay at SHA + hotel within 2 hours of the airport they arrived in.
- Travellers must proceed directly by the approved airport transfer to the pre-arranged COVID-19 test centre or the reserved accommodation and undergo the required RT-PCR COVID-19.
- If tested negative for COVID-19, travellers can go anywhere in Thailand.
‘Blue Zone’ Destinations
Meanwhile, fully-vaccinated travellers arriving from unapproved countries are still welcome to travel to the “Land of Smiles”.
- Travellers are welcome to choose from the following 17 ‘Blue Zone’ destinations, up from the current 4 ‘Sandbox’ destinations, for their first 7-night mandatory stay within the destination before being able to move on to other parts of Thailand.
- Chon Buri (Banglamung, Pattaya, Si Racha, Ko Si Chang, and Sattahip – Na Jomtien and Bang Sarey)
- Chiang Mai (Mueang, Doi Tao, Mae Rim, and Mae Taeng,)
- Trat (Ko Chang)
- Buri Ram (Mueang)
- Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin and Nong Kae)
- Phetchaburi (Cha-Am)
- Ranong (Ko Phayam)
- Rayong (Ko Samet)
- Loei (Chiang Khan)
- Samut Prakan (Suvarnabhumi Airport)
- Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, and Ko Tao)
- Nong Khai (Mueang, Sangkhom, Si Chiang Mai, and Tha Bo)
- Udon Thani (Mueang, Ban Dung, Kumphawapi, Na Yung, Nong Han, and Prachaksinlapakhom)
- The two required COVID-19 tests have been revised to use the RT-PCR method for the first test upon arrival in Thailand, and the ATK method at the designated test centres for the second test, which takes place on Day 6-7.
- The required health insurance coverage associated with being infected with COVID-19 is reduced to USD50,000 (down from USD 100,000).
- Thai or foreign nationals who have not been fully vaccinated may enter Thailand but will have to undergo mandatory quarantine in the Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) accommodation.
|Schemes for Entering Thailand (by Air Travel) Effective 1 st of November 2021
Source: Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand
|Exemption from Quarantine||Sandbox Program *||Alternative Quarantine|
|Eligible Countries||Only eligible countries (must reside in eligible country for at least 21 consecutive days)||All||All|
|Quarantine||No Quarantine (must wait for RT-PCR test result at the hotel for 1 night or until negative result is received)||Travel Restricted in Sandbox Area for 7 nights (must wait for RT-PCR test result at the designated hotel before traveling)||Quarantine at AQ Hotel for 10 nights|
|Vaccination||Fully Vaccinated (At least 14 days prior to traveling)||Fully Vaccinated (At least 14 days prior to traveling)||Not Required|
|Accommodation Requirements||1 Night at SHA + or AQ Hotel (payment confirmation required)||7 Nights at SHA + Hotel in Sandbox Area (payment confirmation required)||10 nights at an AQ hotel (payment confirmation required)|
(Not required for Thai Nationals)
|Minimum coverage of USD 50,000||Minimum coverage of USD 50,000||Minimum coverage of USD 50,000|
|Covid-19 Test Result Before Departure||RT-PCR Test Result issued within 72 hours before traveling||RT-PCR Test Result issued within 72 hours before traveling||RT-PCR Test Result issued within 72 hours before traveling (Not required for Thai Nationals)|
|Covid-19 Test in Thailand
(Travelers are responsible for test fees which is included in hotel reservation)
|One RT-PCR Covid-19 test on arrival date||Two RT-PCR Covid-19 test on arrival date and day 6 or 7 of stay||Two RT-PCR Covid-19 test on arrival date and day 8 or 9 of stay|
* Note: For Sandbox Program, guests must arrive through the international airports at Suvarnabumi, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Samui, U-Tapao, and Buriram.